Friday 6 May 2011

No matter how long you're away....

....some things at home never change. Cornish weather for one. I haven't seen a drop of rain for the past fortnight, but that's all changed today - it hasn't been all that wet, and the middle part of the day was quite pleasant, but it has rained, and I'm now looking out of the front room window to see dark clouds coming from more or less due south, straight off the sea, so I wouldn't be surprised there's some more wet stuff to come. When my daughter was due to go to Finland a few weeks ago, and she was looking for a small present to take for the family she was staying with, we came across a fridge magnet with two identical cartoon pictures of a sheep standing in the rain, one captioned 'Cornwall in winter' and the other 'Cornwall in summer'! That about sums it up!
There seem to be more cuties per head of population down here as well - I saw quite a few this afternoon when we were out shopping, including one very eye-catching blond who was heading into the supermarket as we left, then another very nice looking boy who peeled off from a group of lads and walked along our street just as we arrived back at home - I don't remember seeing him before, but, presumably, he's local. Not that it makes much difference to my life either way, but I won't go down that path, because I'll only upset myself again.
Old age must be catching up with me more quickly than I thought - I was sitting in the lounge this afternoon, watching an AFL match I'd recorded earlier, and generally minding my own business, then the next thing I remember was waking up, thoroughly dazed, forty minutes of my life having disappeared into a total comatose blank. Relaxation is one thing, randomly falling asleep is quite another!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Weather here in the spring is so unsettled. We've had rain, near-sleet, tornadoes (very rare), temps in the high 80's, and last night was in the 40's. It was about 70 outside at lunch time, 50 on the way home, and it's been rumbling outside for 2 hours, but nothing other than a few gusts of wind. So far.

    How was your daughter's jaunt to Finland? I don't remember that you told us about it. Possibly a brain fade on my part.

    I fall asleep in my (home) desk chair rather often after work, for 30 to 40 minutes at a time. That's more due to sleep deprivation than anything else.

    Have fun on your break!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Given Cornwall's very oceanic climate, rain's never too far away, whatever the time of year. At least we don't usually get too much in the way of snow and ice, but baking hot summery days are pretty thin on the ground as well.
    My daughter enjoyed her trip to Finland very much - the return leg, when her Finnish friends are coming over here, is in September.
    I sometimes have an afternoon 'power nap' when I'm on early shift, but yesterday's was more like a blackout - one minute I'm watching TV, the next thing it's 40 minutes later, with nothing but a void in between. Unusual for me.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Television can have that effect on me too!

    We had our first bit of rain for seemingly weeks. The ground here in the Peak District is dry for the first so many inches down. It'll need to rain quite moderately, several times and for quite long periods if we're to get moist again - and fill up our depleted reservoirs.

    Stands to reason the weather's suddenly taking a dip - we're going to North Wales for a week from next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    Looks like summer's over down here, too - it's been, to be as charitable as I can, cool and cloudy today, with a few odds and sods of rain. Hopefully things will pick up again before your trip.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete