Thursday 12 May 2011

A very short working day, and a scare

My first day back at work today was due to be a briefing and assessment day, which, coincidentally, takes place in one of my employers' offices within walking distance of my 'home away from home', so I wandered down there in good time for what was due to be a 10:00 start. Fifteen minutes later, I was wandering back again, because it transpired that I'd already done this briefing - they're on a quarterly cycle, and it turned out this week is the last of the old cycle, rather than, as I'd expected, the first of the new one. I rang into my normal workplace to see if they wanted me to do anything else, but that was nearly three hours ago, and my phone hasn't rung in the interim, so it looks like I've got myself a buckshee day off. Had I but known, I could've stayed at home for an extra day.
So, back to the accommodation, and, just for a change, into cyberspace. Except that I couldn't log into my Blogger account, despite having been able to earlier this morning. Needless to say, my first thought was that my account had been nuked, especially when I managed to view various other blogs via a Google search, proving it wasn't Blogger as a whole that had fallen over, but couldn't view my own.  After an hour or so, though, I finally managed to get back in, much to my relief. Presumably a technical hitch of some kind. The blogs were backed up a couple of days ago, so I wouldn't have lost that much if the worst had happened, but it was a scare I could've done without.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Do you know what? I was reading your blog when blogger went down this morning!

    Anyway I discovered they were doing 'planned maintenance' which can cover a multitude of sins!

    Whatever - we seem to have it all back again so we can carry on playing.

    This was something I always longed to happen on the first day back at school each term. Never did though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Micky
    It was me they were after, it seems! I know Blogger are usually more likely to go for pictures than text, but I still feared the worst earlier on. Never mind, no harm done (yet) - I'll just carry on backing the blog up and 'keep playing'.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always nice to have an unexpected holiday!

    And yes, Blogger was DOWN in a BIG way! Lots of folks lost lots of posts and comments, and even a few blogs got nuked. It was weird, I could get to it on my iPod, but not the computer...who knows...

    Another Google foul-up. Ugh.
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    I seem to have lost one complete post in this blog - one disappeared from 'Cuckoos' as well, but that was restored, eventually - and quite a few comments. When I first came across the problems on Thursday lunchtime, I thought I'd been nuked, as I said in the post - I've been backing up the blog regularly since the last serious carnage a few months back, and I'll make doubly sure I carry on doing that after this fiasco.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete