Tuesday 10 May 2011

Different, but still the same

I came across an article on a psychology website yesterday, probably the first 'academic' piece I've seen which made a distinction between hebephilia and paedophilia, including a different pattern of neurological responses between the two groups. Sadly, the overall tone was still that I and those like me are evil perverts who just want to have sex with 'children', and who cause untold damage. Thanks a lot.
What the article, written from an American perspective, failed to discuss, amongst other things, was the variation in 'age of consent' laws between different countries, and thus what, in legal terms, actually constitutes a 'child'. In Spain, for example, my 'perversion' would be legal, for the most part, whereas in Malta, I could be prosecuted for sexual contact with someone I could legally marry in the UK. Does that mean that Malta is a more 'moral' country than the UK, and the UK more moral than Spain? Why, in the UK, is the age of criminal responsibility 10, but the age of consent 16? Not that I'm suggesting that the age of consent should be 10, but why the huge disparity?
It's all pretty much futile, trying to defend what most people would see as indefensible. Nothing will change in my lifetime, except, probably, for the worse. I can see myself in a concentration camp, if not a jail, yet.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. It makes no sense at all, and I'm sure dates back to the ruler in charge at the time the law was passed. Then it's like molasses to get anything to change. Witness racial equality in the US and compare the pace of change there with trying to get marriage equality.

    Try real hard to stay out of jail...

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I'd never go to jail. Please don't ask me to elaborate, but it won't happen.
    None of it makes much sense. The position of the goalposts is infinitely malleable, or so it seems.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot to be said for living where people are less hung-up on stuff which matters to us.

    There is a strong child protection vein running through society and yet even just now the climate is changing just ever so slightly with fewer restrictions on who can work with children and changes to advice to social workers and with school teachers being told to be a bit more 'hands on'.

    Mind you, I still think it's probably more sensible to spend as much time as possible in countries where the laws are not even as proscriptive as they are here just now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    I'd move to Spain yesterday if I had a quarter of a chance - not because of the age of consent, but just because I find it a much more congenial place to be. The small-mindedness and hypocrisy of this country is getting to the point of being suffocating, and that's before I even get started on selfishness, xenophobia, bigotry....

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete