Friday 27 May 2011

The power of music

There are various theories about the evolution of music - I've even seen one that suggested that music came first to hominids, and spoken language evolved from it. What's undeniable is the effect that music can have on people's emotions. I've just gone through such an experience, although I guess it was the combination of music and words which caused the effect on this occasion.
Planet Rock have just played Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've) by The Buzzcocks. The title pretty much encapsulates my emotional life since I was about 15, and hearing the song has pitched me into an unexpectedly downbeat mood, thinking about various people in my life who I have fallen in love with, and definitely shouldn't have. What I need now is for the radio station to play something uplifting to counterbalance their earlier depressive effect.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha that song. It summed up the life of a closetted gay teen so well. I loved it for putting a voice to the feelings I had right through high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Billy
    Spot on! I've spent most of my adolescent and adult life lurching from one unrequited or unrequitable love to another. Maybe the roller coaster will finally come to a standstill, when I'm too old and tired to care any more.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the exquisite torment of unrequited love!

    Some people know their music collection so well that they play a seemingly continuous musical background to their lives and moods.

    I'm afraid I'm not one of them but I certainly often use music to lift me up or, even, make me all emotional and silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    I'm not really in the 'muso' category, either, but Planet Rock is on a lot of the time while I'm at my 'home away from home' (now, for instance), so there's a random selection of music in the background according to their playlist of the day, except when something comes to the foreground, with uplifting effect, or otherwise, depending on associations. Luckily, I haven't got a 'DBJ' song!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete