Tuesday 24 May 2011

Not writing

I seem to be going through one of my periodic 'low tides' as far as my fiction writing goes. I feel that I want to write, but it just doesn't want to happen at the moment. The most notable casualty of my creative hiatus is Noctivagant, which, after having got off to a reasonable start, has rather run aground. I've still got some ideas about how to move the story on, but I can't say at the moment when, or even if, it will be resumed. That apart, I wrote one paragraph of what first struck me as a brilliant idea for a new story a few days ago, but got no further, so I've now resorted to leafing back through the notebook I kept before starting my blogs, where I had bits and pieces of another long short story or novella, according to taste, but re-reading what I've written on that front, it's even more fragmentary than I remembered. There's one very good scene, which would be close to the end of the story were it to be completed, but precious little else to back it up. There is an overall plot, though, so maybe it can be resuscitated in some shape or form, There may be temporary issues of motivation, but I still find it a bit disheartening that I haven't written anything remotely as good as Lucent, at least in my opinion, which was first posted nearly a year ago.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Writing is tough. I've enjoyed what I've read over at Cuckoos. There are always highs and lows in any continuing endeavor, and perhaps you're just in one of those troughs. It may have to do with all the stress you've been under recently, maybe the writing corner of the brain has just decided to take a break until things settle out. I hope you're not done for good!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I'm hoping it is just a temporary dip, because I do enjoy writing, and if I can produce stuff that other people think is worth reading, that is icing on the proverbial cake.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the dreaded writers' block! How well I know it.

    There's stuff I've written for his and my amusement and whatnot but dare not publish.

    How much better you apparent gift for writing in a universally accessible and acceptable way.

    It'll ease and the stories will flow again - you're much more eloquent than I am just now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    There appears to be a broken link in the chain at the moment - I've still got ideas, but translating them into words typed on the screen is not happening in any meaningful way. I think I need to keep the '1% inspiration, 99% perspiration' mantra in mind, and just keep at it.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete