Tuesday 25 October 2011

Interpretation

No good, no bad, no right, no wrong. 
It's all interpretation.


I wrote that little couplet earlier on, trying to find a way into producing something for 'Cuckoos'. I'm no poet, though, as anyone who has had the misfortune of reading my efforts will know. What it did do, though, was to make me think about the judgmental attitudes of the 'majority', in whatever context you might choose to employ that word, to those who are not in their particular group. Those who consider themselves morally superior often draw on religious or societal precedents to justify their position, but where do these precedents come from? From the prejudices of an earlier, equally self-appointed 'majority', for the most part.
And, it seems to me, there are no moral absolutes. 'Thou shalt not kill' seems unarguable, so why are there judicial executions? What about the demise of Bin Laden, or Gaddafi? As soon as there are exceptions to any precept, there is the potential for justification of abuse. 'Thou shalt not kill, but in the case of x,y or z, you can', doesn't have the same ring to it. If you can justify killing a dictator, or a convicted prisoner, in cold blood, you can justify killing anyone. He's got the wrong coloured skin, she's got the wrong gender of lover, they support the wrong political party, I don't like the colour of YOUR eyes, kill them all, and so ad absurdum. 
I try to act in a way that doesn't hurt other people, but that doesn't necessarily make me 'good', because whose definition of 'unhurtful' am I using. My own, if I'm being honest, in most cases, and what I consider to be 'unhurtful' isn't going to tally with that of many others. How do I know I'm doing the right thing? I don't. Even if the first 99 people I interact with think what I'm doing is 'right', what about the hundredth person who finds it deeply offensive? Does the good of the 99 outweigh the harm done to the one? What if that harm is 99 times greater than the good to each of the other 99?
If there s a point to this philosophising, it may be this. Don't let anyone make you think you're worth less than them because you're different. The merits of male or female, black or white, gay or straight, or whatever other pair of opposites you choose are not absolute. It's all interpretation.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment