Friday 14 October 2011

A laugh out loud moment - and a sadder moment

I don't have too many moments of hilarity at work, but there was one this evening, towards the end of the shift. I'm not deliberately unsociable (usually) when I'm working, but I have got rather a large perfectionist streak, so I tend to concentrate pretty intensely, which perhaps makes me seem rather aloof at times. On this occasion, though, I did get involved in the banter a little more than usual, which led one of my colleagues, purely in jest, to comment that he'd managed to get a smile out of me. I responded in the same light-hearted vein, asking him why he didn't just come out and call me a miserable sod. He then came out with the riposte that elicited the laughter - 'You're not miserable, just misunderstood!' If only you knew, I couldn't help but think. When I'd stopped laughing, I mentioned my 'personal national anthem', although, to be fair, it's not exactly the best known song in the history of popular music, and didn't seem to spark much recognition.
Earlier on in the evening, when I was on my meal break, a somewhat better known song had a different effect, though. Our kitchen/mess room is a large room divided in two with two separate sets of facilities, one for my group of staff, and the other for the technicians (why two sets? - I've no idea, some accident of history, no doubt). I was the only person in 'our' end of the room, and it's just as well, because when Sit Down came on the radio that was playing in the technicians' area, I ended up in tears. And I'm not even sure exactly why. There's something about the lyrics, it seems, that gets to me. That power of music again, to speak directly to the emotions.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. After my day, some hilarity would have been very welcome at work! Glad you had a good day!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good ol' Jesus And Mary Chain! Now, you had me a little surprised, somehow (don't ask me why) I didn't expect you to have taste in music. Back in the old days I listened quite a lot to them. Mostly noise, but in there - somewhere - sometimes a melody can be recognized LOL

    Glad to hear you had a good time at work. It helps, doesn't it?

    I've been working in similar places too. The catering area has obviously been equipped with an invisible Berlin-sized border between them and us. Despite working for the same employer with a common goal. Whenever I have tried to break the barrier literary EVERYONE was suspiciously looking at me. So you eventually fall in line. Weird. And sad.

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jay
    Mostly good, anyway, and the less good bit was rather a mystery. That said, if every day was like yesterday, I wouldn't have too much to complain about!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Daniel
    You're not the first person I've surprised with my musical preferences - there's some even more 'out there' bands amongst the stuff I like, Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror and their ilk, although my basic tastes are in the sort of Classic/Prog rock area, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and that sort of thing.
    As you say, this 'us and them' thing is a bit strange, given that we're all supposed to be pulling in the same direction. Mind you, 'our' bit of the mess room is better looked after (marginally), so I don't think I'd want to be a 'cross-border pioneer' in any case!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete