Tuesday 11 October 2011

Scary stuff

Almost at the moment I clicked on the 'Publish Post' icon on my last post yesterday morning, something very disturbing happened. I felt a sharp pain above my left eye, and my vision blurred. I spent most of the the rest of the day with a splitting headache, despite swallowing numerous heavy-duty painkillers, and with the blurred vision coming and going. Being the diligent soul that I am (or is that mug) I still went to work, but it was a real struggle, before finally staggering back to my accommodation and heading for an early night. After 8 hours sleep (quite a lot by my standards), I've woken this morning feeling somewhat better, although a little of yesterday's symptoms are still in evidence.
After talking to one or two people, and although it's something which has never afflicted me before, it seems that I might have had a migraine. In a backhanded way, I hope that's the answer, and nothing more sinister - the sudden onset, and visual effects had me thinking of stroke, especially as that was identified as the most serious potential side-effect of my heart arrhythmia from the outset, but, fortunately, nothing else to suggest that more serious diagnosis has manifested itself. If there's any recurrence or deterioration, though, I'll be off to the doctor's post haste, even if I have to go back to Cornwall to facilitate that.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

5 comments:

  1. You should go to the doctor anyway.

    I am a fine one to talk, I have been having headaches for the last 5 months or so (of varying intensity, usually just slightly annoying.)

    I really think it's just arthritis and/or a bulging cervical disc, but I should get that confirmed.

    Us old guys shouldn't take chances with are health!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty much like my migraines. So you probably had one I'd say. Still I recommend you to see a doc just in case, to be on the safe side. Take care!

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sammy

    I think you should go to a doctor to have it checked out ASAP, irrespective of any recurrence. I would expect that any NHS doctor in "domicile-ville" will take you as an urgent case, even if they then refer you back to your GP in Cornwall. Given your increased susceptibility to strokes, I wouldn't wait for any further symptoms.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really need to get that checked out. A stroke can have "minor" effects if you want to call them that. Waiting for a recurrence may be too late. And you don't need to be at work under the influence of painkillers and PAIN in general!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everyone
    Thank you all very much for your concern. I am pretty much back to normal now, and I'm keeping close tabs on my health - if I've got any doubts, I'll certainly be off to seek medical advice. I probably shouldn't have gone to work yesterday - I wasn't, in all honesty, fit to have been there, but today was much better - at least, I was better, even if the job itself was a bit of a mess!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete